Introduction

Dear House District 8 Neighbors:

Introduction

Thank you for taking an interest in your government by visiting our web site. On this site you can learn more about me and why I want to be your House District 8 representative.

Background

I am a second generation Colorado native, born and raised by hard working parents in Pueblo. My father left school in the eighth grade to work in the CCC camps before being drafted into the U.S Army’s 88th Infantry Division. He served in combat, returning home to become a carpenter and union member at the CF&I Steel Corporation. My mother went to work at age sixteen to help support her parents and younger brother before marrying and raising three children as a stay-at-home mom.

Although neither of my parents was well educated, the importance of education, politics and public service was always emphasized in our home. Following my older brother and sister, I attended college at CSU-Pueblo and began teaching high school Social Studies and coaching football in Walsh, Colorado in 1980. I have taught and coached at Rangeview High School in Aurora since 1983. I am honorably discharged from the Colorado Army National Guard. I’ve carried my parents’ work ethic and social responsibility with me throughout my life by working at labor jobs, completing two graduate degrees, volunteering in my unions, at my church and in my community. Additionally, I have worked for numerous Democratic campaigns. I married my great wife Kate in 1999 and have been blessed with two beautiful children – Luke (7) and Mary (5).

Legislative Goals

I seek this office because I have a passion for Colorado – its people, its schools, its land and its wildlife. As your House District 8 representative I will work to ensure health care for all Coloradoans. I will endeavor to have our state live up to its constitution’s promise of a “thorough and uniform system of free public schools” and not forget we must also find better means to fund and strengthen our public colleges and universities. I know we must continue the progress we’ve made in making Colorado the clean energy capitol of the United States while seeking transportation alternatives. Furthermore, I believe it is time to bring a regional perspective to growth and development so we can preserve the land and wildlife that make our state such a special place.

So, please use the links to learn more about my position on various issues and how you can get involved in our campaign. I look forward to hearing from you about your concerns and welcome your e-mails concerning the needs of our community. I want to earn your support at the polls in the Democratic primary on August 12th.

Sincerely,


Matt Bergles